terça-feira, 4 de maio de 2010

Lo there...





Uma abordagem histórica dessa "oração viking" (odeio esse termo) que é colocada no filme "The 13th Warrior".
Primeiramente, disponibilizarei o vídeo:

Os versos:
Lo, there do I see my father.
Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people
Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.

e a Tradução:
"Lá embaixo, eu vejo o meu pai.
Lá embaixo, eu vejo minha mãe 
e minhas irmãs e meus irmãos.
Lá embaixo, eu vejo a linhagem dos meus antepassados, 
desde o Princípio!
Lá embaixo, eles me convidam 
para assumir o meus lugar, entre eles, 
nos salões de Valhalla, 
onde os Bravos poderão viver para Sempre!"

A História

Aparentemente, John McTiernan - diretor do filme - retirou os versos do livro Eaters of Dead. A versão do livro é : 
Lo, I see here my father and mother.
Lo, now I see all my deceased relatives sitting.
Lo, there is my master, who is sitting in Paradise.
Paradise is so beautiful, so green.
With him are his men and boys.
He calls to me, so bring me to him.

Acontece que nenhuma das versões é verídica. Ambas são baseadas nos escritos de Ibn Fadlan, árabe que viajou como embaixador do Abássida al-Muqtadir para várias localidades. Entre tais localidades estava a Rússia, na parte em que o povo Rus' habitava. Este, um povo de origem viking, foi descrito por Ibn Fadlan em sua Risala. Os costumes fúnebres dos Rus', nessa era escandinava, viking, são abordados com bastante precisão. De algumas descrições de funerais é que esses versos nasceram. Usarei a tradução de James E. Montgomery como base. Não traduzirei para manter a tradução original, creio que os leitores têm a capacidade de ler ou pedir auxílio para tradução.
A parte em que os versos foram baseados é a seguinte (os grifos são meus):

"At the time of the evening prayer on Friday they brought the slave-girl to a thing that they had constructed, like a door-frame. She placed her feet on the hands of the men and was raised above that door-frame. She said something and they brought her down. Then they lifted her up a second time and she did what she had done the first time. They brought her down and then lifted her up a third time and she did what she had done on the first two occasions. They next handed her a hen. She cut off its head and threw it away. They took the hen and threw it on board the ship.[60]
[18] I quizzed the interpreter about her actions and he said, “The first time they lifted her, she said, ‘Behold, I see my father and my mother.’ The second time she said, ‘Behold, I see all of my dead kindred, seated.’ The third time she said, ‘Behold, I see my master, seated in Paradise. Paradise is beautiful and verdant. He is accompanied by his men and his male-slaves. He summons me, so bring me to him.’”[61] So they brought her to the ship and she removed two bracelets that she was wearing, handing them to the woman called the “Angel of Death,” the one who was to kill her. She also removed two anklets that she was wearing, handing them to the two slave-girls who had waited upon her: they were the daughters of the crone known as the “Angel of Death.” Then they lifted her onto the ship but did not bring her into the pavilion. The men came with their shields and sticks and handed her a cup of alcohol over which she chanted and then drank. The interpreter said to me, “Thereby she bids her female companions farewell.” She was handed another cup, which she [19] took and chanted for a long time, while the crone urged her to drink it and to enter the pavilion in which her master lay.[62] I saw that she was befuddled and wanted to enter the pavilion but she had put her head into the pavilion .[63] The crone grabbed hold of her head and dragged her into the pavilion, entering it at the same time. The men began to bang their shields with the sticks so that her screams could not be heard and so terrify the other slave-girls, who would not, then, seek to die with their masters.[64]"
(MONTGOMERY, James E. "Ibn Fadlan and the Rusiyyah". Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies vol. 3 (2000) p. 17-19. ISSN: 0806-198X.)

O interessante é que, na versão original, não é mencionado Valhalla. É mencionado "paraíso". Mas isso é fácil de explicar; Ibn Fadlan não sabia o idioma dos Rus', ele dependia de um intérprete. Logo fica mais acessível dentro dos escritos o uso de uma palavra conhecida. 
De qualquer modo, o filme é ótimo e os versos são de um valor admirável. Devo dizer que o objetivo desse texto e estudo - um tanto informal, por estar em um blog - é esclarecer a veracidade da "oração" que muitos têm tomado por real. Não desejo retirar seu valor, pois é tão verídico como uma prece cristã. Também serve como curiosidade, pois muitos sequer imaginam a história real que há por trás do filme.

Semper fi!
Auf Wiedersehen!





Referências Bibliográficas:

WATSON, William E. "Ibn al-Athīr's Accounts of the Rūs: A Commentary and Translation"Canadian/American Slavic Studies v.35 (2001).

MONTGOMERY, James E. "Ibn Fadlan and the Rusiyyah". Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies vol. 3 (2000). ISSN: 0806-198X



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário